Sunday, November 18, 2007

Confessions of an audiophile equipment junkie

I must confess. I’m a heavy audiophile equipment junkie. You know: Krell, MacIntosh, B&W, Quad, Infinity. Stuff that are extremely powerful and unreasonably priced. I turn on especially on speakers. In my youth I designed a hybrid 6/12db crossover network filter for Audiotronic CM3. Big Swedish transmission line boxes using Kef B210’ as bass drivers and a Gamma VLD 13ribbon tweeter. At that time, around 1980, I thought they sounded fantastic.
Now they are deported to the garage and replaced with Audiopro Black Diamond. I hate to admit, but they are much cheaper and sound better. Technology does make progress. Today, I cannot stand reading hifi magazines, as they mostly are full of subjective nonsense. I switched over to be a computer nerd instead and have been happy ever since.
Wired and other magazines miss the point. With a do-it-yourself kit you can modify it. You'd be surprised how good such speakers can sound for a lot of music. It'll unquestionably beat any plastic box. But if you want any real bass at all you must add a subwoofer/boom box.
(Did you know that the JBL 075 tweeter was introduced in 1956? Incredible. It was the high end tweeter until mid 1980’s. Now Bose have taken all the market share.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home